Having a great smile is not just about appearance, but it also contributes to your oral health. A good smile gives you confidence and properly aligned teeth will allow you clean your teeth properly and maintain your oral health. There are several procedures which can be carried out to repair your teeth and these are performed by a cosmetic dentist. In addition to giving you a great smile, cosmetic procedures restore the functionality of your teeth. You will be able to eat properly and speak clearly.
A cosmetic dentist specializes in enhancing the appearance of the teeth, bite and gums. Teeth which are missing, out of shape or discolored can all be treated using a variety of procedures. Gaps that may be in between the teeth can be closed and small teeth can be sized to the required length. Crooked teeth can be straightened and a misaligned bite can be corrected.
Some of the procedures that are performed by a cosmetic dentist include:
- Bonding: A composite resin that is tooth colored is attached to the tooth to enhance the appearance and strength of teeth which are chipped, fractured or discolored
- Crown: A dental restoration made from porcelain which is placed over a severely damaged tooth and covers the entire tooth that is visible above the gum
- Dental implants: An implant is made from titanium and is used to replace the root of a missing tooth. A crown is then placed on the implant to resemble a natural tooth
- Bridge: A missing tooth can be replaced by a false tooth which is supported by the teeth which are on either side of the gap. Crowns are placed on these adjacent teeth
- Veneers: These are thin pieces of material made from resin or ceramic that are attached to the teeth to repair chipped or discolored teeth. They are also used to fill gaps between the teeth
- Tooth Reshaping: A drill or a laser is used to reshape or smoothen the tooth
- Teeth Whitening: The use of bleaching products at the dental clinic or at home to whiten and brighten the teeth
- Aligners: These are clear and removable and are worn over the teeth to gently shift the teeth to the required position
- Braces: Appliances used to gently shift the teeth to the required position
If you would like to go through a cosmetic procedure, the first step is to book an appointment with a cosmetic dentist. The dentist will need to understand what you do not like about your teeth and how you would like them to be. The cosmetic dentist will first conduct a thorough oral examination to ensure that your teeth and gums are healthy. In case there is a condition that needs attention, for instance the presence of cavities, the condition will first be treated.
The dentist at Be Well Dental will explain to you the different options that can be used to achieve the result that you want. You will be made to understand how the procedure will be conducted and if there are any risks which are associated with it. You will also be instructed on the things you will need to do to maintain the results of the procedure.